Be Inspired Group (BIG) provides individual and group based mental health services to help you to live the life you aspire to live by helping you to manage the challenges and difficulties in your life. Mental Health is a complex area as there are many elements that affect it such as your physical health, emotional health, thinking patterns, behavioural responses to situations and stresses, life balance, relationships, attitude, and sense of purpose. Our experienced Occupational Therapist can provide:
- Health and life Coaching
- Holistic assessment of functional ability
- To help identify barriers to you being able to do the activities that you need to do and want to do (ie at home, work, social and leisure).
- Working collaboratively with you to develop a therapeutic plan to build your skills, confidence and abilities to better manage your health and improve your independence and quality of life.
- Making recommendations for other supports and services to help you.
- Further details about the types of approaches and strategies are detailed below
Mental Health Issues are Normal
Just like physical illness, mental illness is very common. Approximately 50% of Australians will experience at least one period of mental illness in their lifetime with 20% of Australians (aged 16-85) experiencing a mental illness in any given year. The two most common mental illnesses are depression and anxiety. Although a societal shift is taking place, the stigma associated with mental illness is still significant. 54% of people with mental illness do not access any treatment which is half that compared to help seeking behaviours for physical disorders.
Impacts of Mental Health Illness
Mental health issues can significantly impact quality of life if not managed. The impacts can negatively spiral into all areas of a person’s life such as their physical health, work and income, ability to look after themselves, sleep, relationships, interests and motivation. However, learning ways to manage mental health issues can significantly reduce or even eliminate symptoms and enhance quality of life.
If you are experiencing any of the following conditions or issues and want support to improve your resilience and wellbeing, then consider making an appointment.
- Anxiety, PTSD and phobias
- Stressed and overwhelmed
- Suicidal ideation
- Relationship issues
- Lack of life purpose
- Poor coping skills
- Poor self-esteem, feelings of inadequacy, loneliness
- Chronic diseases or chronic pain
- Loss of role (e.g. worker, partner, caregiver)
- Lifestyle issues (eg weight loss, smoking cessation)
- Difficulties with activities of daily living or functioning within work, home, social or recreational environments
Types of approaches
Sessions are individually tailored and will depend upon your goals, situation, issues, context, strengths, capacity and readiness to make changes. Therapy may involve the use of psychological strategies or utilise other functional and practical strategies to enhance your independence and capacity.
Focussed Psychological Strategies
- CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)
- ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy)
- Motivational Interviewing
- Solution focussed counselling
- Behavioural interventions
- Skills training (ie problem solving, assertiveness skills, anger management, communication skills)
- Stress management
- Relaxation therapy
- Building confidence and self-efficacy
- Health coaching and behaviour change
- Chronic disease self-management
- Functional assessment
- Goal setting and relapse prevention
- Activity scheduling and graded activities
- Pain and fatigue management strategies
- Building routine and structure
- Supporting re-engagement in purposeful activities
- Sleep strategies
- Sensory modulation
- Activity analysis and adaptation
- Home visits and equipment prescription
How does it work?
- Be Inspired Group offers a flexible service which can be tailored to meet your individual needs.
- We can provide face to face sessions from our office in Wynn Vale. With negotiation services can be conducted at your home, workplace or a place of your choosing.
- Appointments can be booked during the week, or can be negotiated for evenings or weekends.
- You can choose the frequency of your sessions and this can include phone and email support options.
- Initial appointments are generally conducted face to face and can take up to 75 minutes, with subsequent appointments approximately 50-60 minutes.f
- For NDIS clients, we usually do home visits and can develop a therapy program for you as part of your NDIS plan.
The costs of sessions will depend on your individual requirements. Please contact us for further information
Under the current Better Access to Focussed Psychological Strategies (FPS) through the Medicare Benefits Schedule initiative, patients with a mental health condition are eligible to receive up to TEN individual and TEN group ‘allied mental health’ services per calendar year with an eligible registered occupational therapist, psychologist or social worker.
Amanda is an endorsed mental health Occupational therapist registered with Medicare.
You may be eligible for Medicare rebates for our services if you:
- are a Medicare card holder and
- have a referral letter from your GP or Specialist for our services
- have obtained a Mental Health Care Plan from your GP
Be Inspired Group is registered to provide occupational therapy services to eligible DVA card holders. With rates charged according to the latest DVA fee guidelines.
Private Health Insurance
Private Health Insurance rebates may apply for Occupational Therapy services, although these vary across individual insurers and policies. Please check your insurance policy to clarify your coverage.
Be Inspired Group can provide services to NDIS participants who are self managed or plan managed, however as we are not a Registered NDIS provider we are unable to provide services to participants managed by the NDIA. Please contact us if you would like further information regarding the types of services available and rates.