At Be Inspired Group we understand the complexities of pain and the devastating impact that persistent pain can have on your independence, function and quality of life. We can work with you to better understand your pain and to explore a range of strategies for reducing the impact that pain has on your life. We can help you to take actions towards achieving the life you want, rather than your pain controlling or limiting you.
What is Pain
Pain is defined as an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage (International Association for the Study of Pain).
Acute pain is where the pain lasts only a short time and occurs following injury, trauma, surgery of other conditions. The pain acts as a warning to the body that there is actual or potential damage and to respond. Generally as the body heals the pain goes away, however in some case this doesn’t happen.
Chronic pain or persistent pain is where the pain persists for longer than 3 months and past the expected time of healing. Chronic pain can be a symptom of another disease or it can also exist without a clear reason at all and be considered a disease in its own right. This type of pain is often not an indicator of tissue damage but rather a characteristic of a sensitised and over protective central nervous system.
Painful Facts (Pain Australia)
- Pain is the most common reason that people seek medical help—yet it remains one of the most neglected and misunderstood areas of healthcare.
- One in five Australians lives with chronic pain including adolescents and children. This prevalence rises to one in three people over the age of 65.
- One in five GP consultations involves a patient with chronic pain and almost five percent report severe, disabling chronic pain.
- The prevalence of chronic pain is projected to increase as Australia’s population ages.
- One in three Australian adults with severe or very severe pain have high or very high levels of psychological distress. With One in five suffering depression or other mood disorders
Understanding Pain – PainAustralia
Lorimer Moseley TedX – Why things hurt?
Be Inspired Group provides individualised occupational therapy services to support people to better manage their pain and improve their quality of life. We understand the difficulties in managing chronic pain and how much it can impact your entire life. We are aware that it can be difficult accessing good pain management services and finding someone who will take the time to listen and understand your concerns, provide information without all the jargon and will work collaboratively with you to find ways to help improve the quality of your life.
- Services are flexible and tailored to meet your individual needs.
- We can provide face to face sessions from our office in Wynn Vale, or with negotiation these can be conducted at your home or a place of your choosing.
- We can provide telehealth consults
- You can choose the frequency of your sessions
- Initial appointments are generally around 90 minutes, with subsequent appointments 60 minutes in duration.
- We can accept referrals from NDIS, Workers Compensation schemes, CTP, GP through a Mental Health Care Plan. We also accept clients with private health insurance if OT is covered in your policy.